Whole Roasted Chicken
From our friends at Portland Salt Company
- 1 Whole Chicken, preferably organic/free range, 4lbs
- 2 Onions, red or white, peeled and quartered
- Big Pinch Kosher or Sea Salt
- 2 Lemons, halved
- 4 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 3 Tbs Portland Pita Salt
- ⅓ Cup Strippaggio Lemon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees F or 215 degrees C.
- Place whole chicken in a heavy bottom, oven proof skillet or cast-iron pan and pat dry with paper towels. Season inside the chicken generously with salt and tie the legs together with cooking twine.
- Make the marinade by combining garlic, juice of half a lemon, Lemon olive oil, and Portland Pita Salt in a small bowl and whisk together.
- Rub the marinade all over the chicken, including under the breast skin. Season with additional pinch of salt all over the skin. Roasted chicken LOVES salt.
- Layer the onions and remaining lemons around the chicken and place the pan in the oven, setting a timer for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, drop the oven temp to 375 degrees F or 190 degrees C and continue to roast chicken another 50-60 minutes. When the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F or 75 degrees C your chicken is fully cooked.
- REST, REST, REST! Rest the chicken, tented in foil for at least 15 minutes before carving and serving.
- Skim off the fat from the pan drippings and turn into a simple pan sauce or simply pour the juices over the chicken before serving. Bon Appetite!